Saturday, June 8, 2013

I Don't Have Time For This

This week I was subjected to an interesting disagreement with a blog reader on this blog's Facebook page. While the argument was deleted (because I know how much my friends defend me and how rude the person's comments were), it gave me the inspiration to write this blog post.

In a nutshell, the argument was on how many young Catholics promote shows like The Big Bang Theory and others which feature a lot of things that are against Church teachings. To be more specific, the blog reader asked me why I thought that young Catholics did this because I had used a The Big Bang Theory gif in my last blog post. That quickly escalated into an argument about how I was immature, thin skinned (yes, I am sensitive), and a slew of other rude comments about me as a person. As you can see from this blog post's gif, "I don't have time for this."

Look, I'm just a lowly blogger who keeps a diary style blog about her own journey in life, while learning about the faith. I am not the authority on all things Catholic. Like I told his reader, people watch what they like and I don't know why they like what they like. Period. This wasn't a satisfactory response for the reader (which resulted in an insulting reply) but that's all I have to offer. I am not a mind reader. I don't even know why some of my best friends like or dislike certain things. Everyone has their own taste. Sure, I took Psychology and Sociology courses as an undergrad but that doesn't mean I'm an expert on it.

I know that I'm not like many of my fellow Millennials. I don't cuss because I don't like it. I think that there are better words in the English language to use when one is upset or describing something. Does it mean that I'm going to sit here and judge friends who do it? No.

I don't like watching or hearing anything sexual while I am trying to enjoy a movie or TV show and will go out of my way to avoid it. I will literally get up and walk out of the room if I am able to. I've already written on this before, which you can read here. I'm just not comfortable. Does it once again mean that I'm going to look at friends who don't mind watching these things and judge them? Nope.

As many of you know, I am regularly on tumblr and I stumble across these gifs. I don't know which shows some of them come from but I think the gifs themselves are funny or would suit a blog post in the future so I save them for later use. Does it mean I myself am promoting the show or movie? No. I'm just using a picture that I believe is appropriate for the entire blog post. Have I repeated this enough times?

I try to be nice to everyone, even when they treat me like crumbs. However, there comes a point where I get tired of the rudeness and I have to say something. I've been insulted, mistreated, and attacked because I can't give people what they want. I am either too Catholic or not Catholic enough. I get attacked when I stick up for someone on their point of view (i.e. seeing the amount of cussing online) and I get attacked for not condemning those who have different tastes than I do. I can't win. But, you know what? "I don't have time for this."

I am back on my freelance working schedule. I basically have the role of "housewife" (minus the husband and children) in the house. I cook, clean, run errands, etc. I have a lot of stuff to do and, while I used to try to reply to everyone messages, I'm just going to start skipping those that attack me like this because I have better things to do with my time.

I'm just going to pray for those who sling mud at me because I truly believe that it hurts them more than it hurts me. By attacking me, you are damaging your own soul. Think about it. I may feel sad or want to cry (or may cry) but it's only for a little while. I get my comfort from God. The person who tries to hurt me, even verbally, has to deal with anger. Not only that, they have to own up to their actions... to God. I'd rather get insulted and cry then inflict emotional pain on someone and then have to go to confession and own up to hurting a fellow human being. That's just my way of thinking about it.

For the tl;dr crowd: if you attack me for whatever reason, I'm not going to reply. I'm going to pray for you and then drop it. My people-pleasing days are over and I am not going to try to get you to like me by changing what I do or say just to please you. I will do what God wants me to do and only worry about pleasing Him. Sorry but doormat Emmy has left the building.

Anyway, I want to finish reading Emma by Jane Austen (I've been trying to read bits of it since April; this is longest time it's ever taken me to finish an Austen novel) before my weekend ends so I will go do that now.

I hope y'all have a great weekend. :D If you have any prayer requests, send them my way. :D

As always, thanks for reading and God bless!

2 comments:

Православный физик said...

Pleasing people just leads to depression :), no need to do such a thing...however, another Joe and Emmy day will need to be in the works for July or August :)

Sophie Miriam said...

Goodness, some people are so rude. And hypocritical. Do they only watch TV shows where everyone is perfect all the time? Even cartoons for four year olds have a character who won't share or something like that.

I mean, I hate the Big Bang Theory, but that's because the lack of charity sets my teeth on edge, and it's too crude for my tastes. Instead, I watch a lot of SVU and NCIS. Pretty sure the Church is against both rape and murder, but it never occurred to me that I shouldn't watch those shows because of that! Does this person avoid real-life situations where people will be doing things that are against church teaching?