Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Rosary and My Mama

This is going to be quick since I have about 700+ pages to get through by Saturday and, well, I need to finish ASAP. (I take my side projects/duties seriously.)

Mom and I have been praying the Rosary every day (except for Saturday and Sunday when her arthritis was so bad that she slept most of the day/evening) and it's been absolutely wonderful. I've been wanting to get her to do it more regularly since her proper reversion shortly before my dad passed away and it's finally sticking.

I've noticed some changes in my relationship with her as a result of our daily Rosary. If we get into a typical mother-grown daughter argument, we'll put it aside for the Rosary. Her strong, outgoing temperament (she's a sanguine-choleric, the most extroverted of the temperaments) often clashes with my more mellow, introverted temperament (phlegmatic-sanguine; see previous post) so there is bound to be a bit of mama-daughter disagreements. When it comes time to praying the Rosary, it's like everything changes. I can't speak for her but I myself feel a lot more calm and forgiving about halfway through the Rosary. And, since I have the mysteries and the order memorized, mom won't pray the Rosary without me so it's a wonderful bonding time. She carries around her Rosary everywhere she goes, too. I'm so incredibly proud of the effort my mom is making in learning about our beautiful Faith.

Who would've thought my mama (who just four years ago used to use excuses to get out of attending Mass and who just started going to confession three years ago) and I would reach this point? I'm a little pressed for time right now but I'll go back through my blog posts one of these days and compare how my parents were prior to their reversions and how my mom is now and how my dad was before he passed away. I wanted to post something yesterday (and it would've been appropriate since it was St. Monica's feast day) but I've been crazy busy. :)

Anyway, I just wanted to share this little gem. For those of you who have family members who are currently away from the Church, don't fret. It takes a lot of time and a lot of patience (again, just look at St. Monica and St. Augustine of Hippo as an example) but remember that miracles do happen. I got my dad shortly before he died (after being away from the Church for 40+ years; all credit to God, I did nothing). Nothing is impossible with God. :D

I hope y'all are having a great start of week. If you need prayers, please let me know. And now, back to Middle Earth I go. :D

As always, thanks for reading and God bless. :D



P.S. If you get the link to this blog post via twitter it's because I have twitterfeed and it automatically posts the link as soon as I have a new blog post published. I am still away until Saturday. :D

No comments: