Wednesday, June 20, 2012

I Really Don't Like Summer

On the first day of summer I want to admit that I really don't like summer. In fact, it's my least favorite season. I don't like the hot weather (it can get up to over 128 degrees in my part of L.A. during the hottest summers). I don't like the limited things I can do because of the sun/heat. I have really sensitive skin so any prolonged sun exposure creates an allergic reaction (read: rashes and hives). I really, really don't like having to stay indoors because it is so unbearably hot. I have the unfortunate luck of having a west facing room so my room is an oven during the hottest part of the day. I can't drink my favorite drink, tea, during the summer. And don't suggest iced tea; that's bordering on sacrilege for this tea drinker. lol. For some reason, my anxiety is heightened during this gross season and I tend to get more sick during it, which is a big reason why I hate it.

I like the spring. I love cool but sunny days. I like rainy days. I like the idea of getting my umbrella and trying to recreate Gene Kelly's famous dance from Singin' in the Rain. I like drinking tea and baking. I love listening to Ella Fitzgerald while I drink tea and bake cookies. I love wrapping myself in my blanket, reading a book on the love seat (which is in my bedroom), drinking tea (notice a trend?), and listening to the rain fall outside my window. I love the flowers blooming and the grass getting greener. I am a spring girl. I am happiest during this season (and fall... because I'm a massive nerd and the whole "going back to school" thing makes me giddy). Most of my happiest memories happened during the spring. Since I won't get to experience spring again until next year... well, I'm not going to be a happy camper. lol.

I am trying to think of what to do this summer to keep my mind and self occupied. I firmly intend to not go out after 11 a.m. unless it's to pick mom up from work... or because I have to do something at a later time. I don't want a repeat of last year when I had a 2.5 month throat infection (thanks, summer) and hives on my arms from the heat. No gracias. Obviously, I'm going to be reading... a lot. I know what times my local libraries (I live in between two) open so I can get there early. I also have overflowing shelves full of books I've been given for my birthday. But, I also want to do something good for others.

At the moment I haven't come up with a plan but I'm taking the Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati PACT seriously this summer. There has to be something I can do for others while I'm holed up in the house. My usual preference (working to make meals for those who need it) won't work out this summer for obvious reasons. I'm too poor to, at least, make sandwiches at home and do my own distribution. I really need to put on my thinking cap because I want to do something good this summer... you know, besides ranting about how I hate the season. lol. I figure if I do something good I won't hate the season so much. It's just a theory; we'll see what happens. ;)

Anyway, sorry... I was just ranting/writing "out loud." Yes, I am that bored. lol. I promise I won't write many of these. ;)

I hope y'all are having a great week thus far. :D

As always, thanks for reading and God bless. :D

1 comment:

Carl said...

I would gladly trade places with you. I feel that everyone should enjoy a Great Lakes winter at some point in their life!