Wednesday, October 19, 2011

No One Has Ever Become Poor By Giving

Anne Frank wrote in her diary, "No one has ever become poor by giving." I know our economy is a big dirty diaper that no one is able to change (lovely image I just gave y'all, right? lol. sorry) but who said we could only give financially? In the last couple of weeks I've seen a lot of great charitable acts and it's made me want to give back as well.

A few weeks ago, as I was waiting to make a left turn at the light, I saw a man in a wheelchair having trouble crossing the street and dropping things along the way. Another man, going in the opposite direction, met him, picked up the things that he had dropped, and then wheeled him across the street. It warmed my heart to see this because, let's face it, we don't see this often.

Two weeks ago, while in line for confession, an older woman walked in out of breath. We made room so that she could sit and she told us how many buses she had to take to get to the parish. When the woman behind us heard that she had come from her direction, she offered to drive the older woman back home. Considering it was over 95 degrees that day and that the older woman was at least in her 80s and could barely walk, it was a lovely act of charity.

I've noticed that when most people encounter someone who needs help they will walk on, looking elsewhere (and therefore pretending that they don't see anyone in need of help), and do nothing. Let's be honest, we've all done this at one point or another. I'm not perfect and I've been guilty of this in the past when I've thought someone else (who was closer) was going to do something... and then I felt like crumbs when I saw that I should've taken that chance because no one did anything.

I've been told (twice) by professors at my current college that doing acts of charity is inherently a selfish thing to do because even if we don't get a "thank you" or recognition, we still feel good and therefore it becomes a selfish act. *pauses, rolls eyes, sighs.* Don't you just love what they "teach" us at my school? lol. Anyway, I will wholeheartedly disagree. I don't think we are selfish for wanting to help others in need, even if that need is not great.

I've read about the acts of charity that other saints have done (especially those of Bl. Pier Giorgio Frassati who continues to be one of my go-to saints when I need a good tush kicking) and it's inspired me to do the same. I don't do great things but I help when I am able to. I don't do it to feel great but because I know that it's how God would want us to act. Sometimes I see people on the street asking for money for food and I think "Golly, I wish I could give them something in return but I don't have anything on me." It's easy to say that I can't give because I don't have (at least when it comes to money) and I forget that I do have other non-materialistic things that I can give and I try to keep that in mind.

So, I'm proposing this challenge to all my blog readers as well as to myself: even if you can't give because you don't have a job or because you can barely make ends meet, try to think of ways to give back. Even if it's anonymously or just a random little thing (like holding the door open when someone is carrying a heavy load or a screaming toddler in their arms). If you have a special talent, try to figure out how you can use it to help others. I have yet to figure out my special talent but I know that I have a big heart with a lot of love to spare (as I've been told by friends) and I'm going to try to figure out how to use it to help others. Do just one act a day if possible. Trust me, you can even do something around the house; something as simple as helping your spouse, parent, or roommate with something they can't get to because of whatever reason. We see so much hate and unnecessary drama that it would be nice to see a change. Remember that "no one has ever become poor by giving" and I hope some of you accept my challenge. I'm going to call it my Charity Challenge. Don't tell me or anyone else what you did/have done, just do it. :)

Anyway, I start my last round of midterms tomorrow (last two were postpone for this weekend) so here is my last post until I can get them done. :D You may all resume the bugging after Sunday night if I don't update soon enough. :D

I hope y'all have had a good start of the week. :D

As always, thanks for reading and God Bless! :D

2 comments:

Katie@NFP and Me said...

Love this idea! I think that all the time when I pass people on the street and don't have cash. Time for a change!

Also, I don't know if you watch Friends but the thing about "no selfless act of charity" is in an episode! :)

Melissa Cecilia said...

I didn't watch friends but I wouldn't doubt that my profs got it from a show. lol.