Sunday, May 9, 2010

Life is But a Dream?

For those of you who have read this blog long enough... you guys know I have some pretty awesome dreams sometimes. Though the frequency of saint dreams has lessen drastically over the past year, I still have them. (I will incorporate a Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati dream I had lately into my novel as well.) Lately, it's been my dad that's been popping up -- usually giving me "messages" and "warnings." Usually, I dream that he's protecting us (mom and I, occasionally other family members) from various disasters. I believe I will keep having dreams about my dad for a really long time because I still think about him often. It's only natural. Lately, though, I've been having dreams that have me thinking twice about decisions I am making (or are about to make.)

Only a few close friends know that, a few months ago, I had a dream in which my father warned me about a good friend that I had started developing feelings for. He said that this friend was not a bad guy, but that he would not make me happy. Furthermore, I was going to find out something about this friend that I would not like. Later that same day, I did find out something about my friend that totally turned me off. This happened 6-8 months ago. Well, recently I had almost the same dream in which my father gave me the same warning -- about the same guy because the pesky feelings might've returned. Dad said "He's not good for you but..." and he shrugged with that "it's your decision" look on your face. Since I try not to be superstitious about it, I didn't really think about it too much. It could be my subconscious telling me that the feelings (which, btw, I am not even sure about) are not really there. I told my mom the dream and she shrugged it off... until she had a dream of her own.

At this point I should say that my mom very rarely has dreams about my dad. I'm the one whose dreams he pops into regularly. My father appeared in a recent dream and told my mom "I warned Emmy about this but she just didn't listen." What was happening, exactly? I had been badly drugged, abandoned in a room, by a mutual friend of the friend my dad had warned me about in my own dreams. My mom had never met this mutual friend though she'd heard about them when I had mentioned them. My mom told me about the dream and described the friend... and it sure enough sounded exactly like a real life mutual friend. When we got home (we had this conversation in between screenings of Babies and Letters to Juliet -- btw, reviews coming soon), I showed my mom a picture of the friend... and it was exactly who my mom had dreamt. Again, mom had never met this person (one of the few good friends she hasn't personally met.) That got us thinking: what is going on?

I don't like being superstitious. If I do anything superstitious, from old habits I'm trying to get rid of, I confess it. I don't like putting a lot of stock into dreams, but when coincidences like this happen... I have to wonder what's going on. Of course, I'm not saying this is a direct dream from God or from Heaven and that the message is being shown through my dad because I know he's looking after me, whether he's still stuck in purgatory or is in Heaven at this point... but what if it is? What if God is trying to make me aware of things through my dreams? Or is it just my subconscious trying to look at things more clearly? I don't know. People have been known to have dreams that have come true and God has given people messages through dreams (many saints have received them that way). At this point, I don't know what's going on. Since I have no spiritual adviser at the moment (haven't had one since Fr. Leo passed away last November and he was the one I talked to about these things), I don't know what to think. All I know is that there are some strange coincidences between the dreams and real life.

What do you guys think? I'm curious to know what everyone else thinks about this because I, myself, don't even know where to begin or what to think. I won't go into more detail about my dreams because a) I want to keep my friends' identities private and b) if it turns out I do have real, genuine feelings for my guy friend he's not finding out this way... or ever if I choose to keep it to myself. lol.

Anyway, it's late and I have to get some sleep in me since this will be a long week and I will need all the rest I can get. :)

'Til next time, thanks for reading and God Bless!

1 comment:

Papa14 said...

Life isnt a dream. a Dream is something that captures anything that you are thinking. Although at times it may bring messages and warnings. Its a fasnicating thing how dreams can similate real life and could also benefit from it.