Sunday, June 1, 2008

Picture Special: San Fernando Mission

Today, after Mass and after Fr. Leo made me laugh with his jokes about him not holding Mass on Father's Day until he sees my father there, we drove to the San Fernando Mission in San Fernando, California. Ever since one of my best friends told me about her trip to San Juan Capistrano, I've been curious about visiting the Mission in the San Fernando Valley. Ever since I was a little girl, I've been wanting to go to this Mission. I can clearly remember myself, at age 5 - 7, wondering about how it would look inside and how it would be. Finally, at age 23, I got a chance to visit.

I had an AMAZING time at the Mission. I highly recommend it to anyone who comes to Southern California to tour Mission, or even those who live in the Los Angeles and Santa Clarita Counties that can make their way over to the city of San Fernando. Admission is only $4 per adult and $3.50 for children. It's so peaceful and beautiful. It's almost like you're in another world, thousands of miles away from city life. I honestly felt though as if I were somewhere in Spain, and not California. And, if you're looking for particular holy/prayer cards and other things, you will most likely find it there. Mom bought me a St. Therese of Lisieux prayer card with a piece of cloth that has been touched to her relics. I'm fact, have it in my hand as I type this out.

I took a lot of pictures, though some didn't come out too great because it's hard to take a picture when you're carrying a heavy tote bag on one arm and holding onto a map on the other. I hope y'all enjoy the pictures. You can click on the thumbnails to see bigger versions of the pictures. Once you go to the page where the picture is enlarged, you can click on the magnifying glass on the top right side to get the full version. If you'd like to use any for your own site or blog, please let me know and I can send you bigger versions with smaller (or no) tags.

And now, without further ado, the pictures:


One of the first signs you see before you enter the Mission.


A view of the chapel-of-ease coming out of the gift shop and entering the Mission.


A beautiful fountain in the middle of the Mission.


Statue of St. Francis of Assisi. It's the first thing you see, on your right, as you enter the Mission museum.


Description of and the actual Gregorian chant parchment.


The vestments our beloved Late Pope John Paul II wore, as well as the candle he lit, when he visited the Mission in 1987. It's completely surreal, and beautiful, that I was THAT CLOSE to something the Pope wore, walking the same grounds he walked on his visit.


Friar vestments that date to the time the Mission was built.


The inside of the chapel-of-ease. Sorry it's so blurry, the lights were off and I couldn't use the flash.


Walking on part of El Camino Real within the Mission.


I never found out the name of this rock but it was very interesting nonetheless.


Sign going into the Convento (Convent). They have a lot of different paintings, statues, etc. One of the best places to visit within the Mission.


A replica of the Bishop's Room. I only got part of it because there were bars and I couldn't take pictures of the rest of the room.


Plaque of and the statue of the Child Jesus.


Part of the massive library in the Convento. It smelled so lovely when you walked in. It was like a mix of vanilla and some other flowers.


Wooden Santo Niño de Atocha statue. (Child Jesus of Atocha)


This cross was dedicated to the Native Americans. The inscription reads: "In memory of the 2425 Native Americans who were interred in this cemetery of San Fernando Rey de España between 1797 and 1852. Anno Domini 1997."


Statue of Our Lady of Hope. It's the first thing you see as you walk towards the Bob Hope Memorial Garden. It's a replica of the original that's in Pontmain, France.


Bob Hope's tomb. He is buried here (edit: 9/20/11: and his recently deceased) wife will be buried here in the Bob Hope Memorial Garden at the Mission. You can actually touch it or leave flowers if you'd like.


A plaque outside the chapel-of-ease.

That's all I got, for now. I hope to go back and possibly take video or take more pictures because there was A LOT I didn't take pictures of. I hope you've enjoyed them. 'Til next time, thanks for reading and God Bless. :D
.

No comments: