Saturday, March 1, 2008

Crazy Weather, Walking to Mass, and Films.

One thing you can always count on in Southern California: the weather being completely wacky. It was very warm most of this past week and now it's cold and windy. It's no wonder people get colds and whatnot easily out here. Hopefully it won't too bad tomorrow because I plan on walking all the way to the nearest parish and I don't want excess heat or coldness to make things harder than they will be.

Yes, I am walking to Mass tomorrow morning. Long story short, I won't have any way to get around (aka no car) for a week so I will be walking a lot and also taking public transportation when the place I am going to is over a mile. I still feel weak and whatnot so you can bet I will be asking God to give me the strength to make it to and from the parish in one piece. It will be a big accomplishment for me if I make it because I haven't been able to walk for long distances in a long time. I might be able to do it because when I put my mind to something and focus on it, my stubborn side comes out and I will not quit unless I honestly fail attempting to finish it. Fingers crossed.

I got to watch a really inspiring and sweet film called The Miracle of Marcelino. Well, technically it's called Marcelino Pan y Vino which, translated from Spanish to English, would be called Marcelino Bread and Wine but it doesn't have the same ring to it. Anyway, this film was made in 1955 but it didn't feel like it was dated. I usually watch a film at least twice before I put it in my top 10 but this went straight to top 3 of all time. Mom and I watched the film with the Spanish track and I will watch it again with the English track to see the differences. You'd be surprised how much gets lost in translation. I always try to translate things as closely as I can but I've noticed that others don't. Maybe it's too much work or something but I don't like when that happens. It's also always fun to see the differences in words and accents because Spaniards have a sort of accent that I'm not completely used to yet (my mother has no accent). Anyway, I would definitely recommend this film to anyone and everyone. It's funny, I remember singing a song about "Marcelino, Pan y Vino" when I was a little munchkin (about 6 years old) but never knew where it came from. Now I do. lol.

I just looked up some clips in youtube and I believe they have the entire film in pieces. I'll post one to give you a sneak peek of it. Some clips are in Italian, some are in Spanish (the Spanish ones were uploaded by the user "anira") and I haven't gone through all but there might be some English ones. If you want to search for it, it's under "Marcelino Pan y Vino". This is a clip in Spanish. Quick summary of the first couple of minutes: Marcelino is left on the steps of a monastery and the monks raise him. You can google more of the summary if you'd like. :D



Alright, well, I'm going to do a couple of things before I sleep so this is where this blog ends for tonight. As always, thanks for reading and God Bless. :D

No comments: