Friday, January 4, 2008

Rain, More Goofy Ballet and St. Teresa of Avila.

*singing* It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring... Haha. Well, we officially have the first rain of the year... and maybe of the winter season. It's supposed to rain the entire weekend and into Monday morning, which I'm not too happy about. The storm's pretty big because the entire West Coast of the U.S. (and parts of Canada -- including Vancouver) are getting rain and/or snow. Just look at this (courtesy of weather.com):

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Hopefully it won't be raining too badly on Sunday because I want to go to mass, darn it! lol. It's the first Sunday of the year and it would suck if I missed mass because of the potential flooding in the streets. Bah humbug! lol.

Since the rain has made my house colder than it usually is (we don't turn on the heater), I've had to resort to drinking a lot of tea and doing more goofy ballet to keep warm. And, okay, I'm also dancing like a dork because I am slightly bored and I need something to amuse me. If you know me personally, you know that I am shameless when it comes to dancing around like a spaz. Haha. I absolutely love it. I don't know why my parents keep laughing, they've had two decades to get used to my silliness. :D

Moving away from silly to being a little more serious (which is somewhat rare when I'm in a "wheeeee!!" state of mind)... I think I have finally found my kindred saint:

St. Teresa of Avila.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


A few weeks (possibly months) ago, I had a dream about her, which was very cool because I'd never heard of her before then. I must've seen her picture somewhere before but I didn't know her by name. I kept saying her name over and over in my head until I full woke up. I googled her name and found out a little more about her. She's one of 3 women saints (along with St. Catherine of Siena and St. Therese of Lisieux) that are considered Doctors of the Church. Since I was sick when I dreamt about her, I thought maybe I was should pray to her for help. I was already praying to St. Jude so I decided not to be greedy and keep up St. Jude's novena only. I don't know; I feel guilty asking more than one saint to pray for me. Lately (the past week or so) I've had such an intense feeling that I have to learn more about her that I went ahead and looked up a little more information about her. From what I learned, I've come to realize that she is my kindred. Although our lives are/were obviously very different, her personality, her way of thinking and some of her experiences mirror mine. She was a writer, of Spanish descent (was actually born in Spain), became fascinated with the lives of saints, became ill at a very young age (she was 19 when she started getting seriously ill; I started getting sick at 21) and we both share the fainting ailment (I, on an almost daily basis, feel like I'm going to pass out at any given moment). The list just keeps on going, too. What pretty much sealed the deal was when I read about what she did when she understood about sin and about how vanity and her friendship with certain types of women were changed when she saw what they were doing to her. After I read that I just said "Oh my goodness... I must buy her autobiography!" So, that's what I'm actually doing right now -- I type a bit in this blog and then I search on books about her. I am giving a lot (if not all) of the credit to a priest at my church for suggesting that I look into the lives of the saints I've dreamt about (and there have been many). Hopefully I'll be able to learn more and become a better person because of it. That's what I want to do; learn as much as I can, share what I find with others and live as honestly and well (but not in a material sense) as I can.

Alright, well, I am trying to keep my entries short so I think I'll just stop here. I still want to order a laminated St. Dymphna prayer card (which I don't have and can't find anywhere in my hometown) and, of course, St. Teresa's autobiography, so I'm off to do that. If anyone's getting hit with the crazy weather -- stay safe and keep warm. :D

Thanks for reading and God Bless. :D

No comments: